Network Engineer I
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
The Network Engineer I is responsible for the daily system monitoring as well as verifying the integrity and availability of the network including, software, and hardware, LANS, WANS, telecommunications systems, and their components. The Network Engineer I will identify and proactively respond to low complexity system problems. In addition, the Network Engineer I will assist the team with deployment, operations, maintenance and troubleshooting any applications issues that may be network related.
Network Engineering - Knowledge of the architecture and typology of network, software, and hardware, including LANS, WANS, and telecommunications systems, their components and associated protocols and standards, and how they operate and integrate with other systems.
- Assist the team with deployment, operations, and maintenance of network technologies
- Review existing technologies for vendor support and end-of-life information
Technical Support - Ability to understand internal/external customer technologies and problem resolution techniques.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs
- Demonstrate knowledge of routine techniques, skills, equipment, and procedures
- Apply knowledge to identify and proactively respond to low complexity system problems
- Troubleshoot and correct low complexity problems that affect operation of the environment
- Develop additional technical knowledge and skills
- Maintain backups of their network equipment into a configuration management tool
- Analyze the network traffic patterns and make improvement recommendations using Netflow tools
- Interface amongst multiple technical teams (Network, Telecommunications, Server Operations and Help Desk)
Supplemental Duties & Responsibilities
- Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Assist personnel in other RTS departments to resolve technical and/or application issues
- Other duties as requested
Problem Solving - Ability to problem solve through problem identification (what is the problem), solution assessment (what can be done), problem documentation (document for future) and problem response (implementing a solution).
- Frame problems before trying to solve them
- Seek advice from those who have solved similar problems
- Follow up to ensure that the problem has been resolved
- Document and disseminate identification and resolution of problems to avoid future redundant work efforts
Decision making - Makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish organizational goals.
- Gather data and others' input when making decisions
- Consider lessons learned from experience, differing needs, and the impact of the decision on others
- Escalate decisions when appropriate
Customer Service - Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with customers by listening, understanding and responding to their needs.
- Provide service to internal and external customers to satisfy their needs and expectations
- Listen to concerns and resolve reported issues effectively and promptly
- Ensure and comply to customer response timeline (SLAs) based on the severity of reported issues including documenting concise and accurate status information in the ServiceNow ticketing system
- Commit to continuous improvement
Building Collaborative Relationships - Develops, maintains, and strengthens partnerships with others inside or outside the organization.
- Establish rapport with co-workers easily
- Work with others to achieve goals
Accountability - Holds self-accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
- Set well-defined and realistic goals
- Comply with established policies and procedures
- Accept responsibility for mistakes
- Take ownership of successful outcome of work assignments/projects through collaborative efforts with team
- Minimize re-work
- Seek out learning opportunities
- Identify training needs and take action to obtain knowledge
Company Business Knowledge - Understands the company, its products and the business processes.
- Apply basic understanding of how a business operates
- Develop understanding of common business processes within Reliance
Communication - Ability to communicate effectively across all levels to support departmental and organizational objectives.
- Clearly express information taking into account audience and nature of the information (for example, non-technical, sensitive, and controversial)
- Ask questions and summarize what was heard to prevent miscommunication
- Present information in a concise and focused manner
- Listen to others
Leadership – Displays effort and commitment in carrying out the department’s goals and objectives.
- Act in a proactive and achievement-oriented manner
- Treat co-workers in a fair and equitable manner
- Behave in a tactful, compassionate, and sensitive manner
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in a related field required
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently, with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Detail oriented with excellent interpersonal communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) preferred
- 3+ years’ experience in supporting LAN/WAN environment required
- Demonstrable experience with Cisco routers, Cisco Wireless, Brocade switches, and Cisco VOIP technologies
- Must have solid understanding of network. LAN, internet access, and network security concept and protocols
- Experience with network management analysis and troubleshooting tools
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to apply for the position or to participate in an interview, please let us know.
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. provides reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants who need accommodation in the job application process should contact Gabe Muñoz at (213) 576-2426 or e-mail email@example.com to request an accommodation.
JOB APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this position, the candidate must submit their resume by clicking the "Apply Now" button.