Life Sciences Research Assistant I / II (REL1702.17)
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR)
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Assistant position in the Relman lab, which is part of Stanford University and the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System. The Research Assistant position will support the molecular investigation of human-associated microbiota in health and disease under the direction of the Principal Investigator, David Relman, M.D. These investigations include both sequence-based analysis of complex microbial communities and transcriptional profiling. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Operate cryogenic drill to generate aliquots of samples
- Extract nucleic acids from human clinical samples
- Perform high-throughput PCR and prepare samples for next-generation sequencing
- Log samples into a sample bank, curate the sample bank, and organize batches of frozen samples for processing in the laboratory
- Maintain and update a spreadsheet and/or input data into a database of sample IDs and associated clinical information
- Prepare media and reagents and assist other laboratory personnel as needed
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and spreadsheets and prepare progress reports and summaries; perform other duties, as assigned
Required: Bachelor degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a graduation date scheduled for 2017) in biological or biomedical sciences (or equivalent combination of education, academic training, and lab/bench experience).
Required: at least 6 months of related experience (may include undergraduate lab courses and academic lab undergraduate research experience)
Desired: 1 year of related lab/bench experience
- Experience with nucleic acid extraction, amplification, quantitation, and other manipulations, including agarose gel electrophoresis is desired.
- Experience preparing nucleic acids for next-generation sequencing is a plus.
- Experience with RNA extraction a plus.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Knowledge of microbial/molecular biology
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education and/or experience
- Knowledge of lab safety procedures
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Previous experience with human subjects is preferred
- Ability to evaluate the technical results of experiments and to identify problems when they occur
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to learn new techniques from written protocols
- Organizational skills and detail orientated
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Basic understanding of biochemistry, molecular biology, and some mathematical skills
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Sitting in front of a computer or laboratory bench for long periods of time, repetitive movement, etc. Lifting up to 30 lbs occasionally, standing, bending.
Environmental: Exposure to a wet lab environment, bloodborne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for minorities, women, protected Veterans, and qualified individuals with a disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
How to Apply:
Please apply online for job code ‘REL1702.17’ via our Jobs page and include your cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae as ONE document.