Developer, Web Applications
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
The Developer will identify, analyze, specify, design, manage and translate functional design to technical design largely in the role of web development. As a secondary focus, this role will also need to be able to write, test, debug, and maintain applications for end-user adoption, productivity improvement and efficiency by producing high quality source code for medium to high complexity solutions that incorporate and adhere to RTS standards. In addition, this role will ensure their developed code meets the technical and functional specifications through unit testing and validation.
Technical Design - Ability to identify, analyze, specify, design, manage and translate functional design to technical design.
- Create and document technical design for medium to high complexity solutions that may include integration with external systems
- Design systems that span multiple technologies/platforms
- Apply design standards across all applications
- Design solutions to meet performance requirements and scalability expectations
- Participate in peer design review
Application Technology – Able to write, test, debug, and maintain applications for end-user adoption, productivity improvement, and efficiency.
- Produce high quality source code for medium to high complexity solutions
- Modify and enhance medium to high complexity programs
- Apply more than one programming language to produce high quality source code
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- Participate in peer code reviews
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to identify and solve software defects
- Anticipate risks and implement contingency plans to resolve issues impacting applications
- Design operational support systems like monitoring, reporting, fail over, error handling etc.
- Proactively enhance systems for stability, efficiency, scalability and robustness
- Research, analyze, and identify program code to resolve medium to high complexity problems
Unit Testing and Validation - Ensures developed code meets the technical and functional specifications.
- Develop and document effective unit test cases to test solution and validate results are as expected
- Modify code if unit test fails
- Ensure the application operates according to functional and technical specifications
- Develop reusable unit test case suite
Provides Accurate Project Effort Estimates - Ability to quantify and meet individual and project phase level efforts.
- Manage ambiguity, meet and create accurate project effort estimates for their assigned tasks
- Understand, consider and communicate interdependencies for project estimates
- Adhere to RTS project methodology throughout project lifecycle
Adherence to Standards - Creates solutions that adhere and incorporate RTS standards.
- Apply and use information and technology standards in solution design
- Obtain key inputs from Enterprise Architecture to ensure compliance and exception management
- Identify commonalities and suggest a consistent approach across projects
SUPPLEMENTAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pursue training and development opportunities; Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Assist personnel in other RTS departments to resolve technical and/or application issues
- Drive to Corporate office in Los Angeles to provide support as needed
- Other duties as requested
Problem Solving - Ability to problem solve through problem identification (what is the problem), solution assessment (what can be done), problem documentation (document for future) and problem response (implementing a solution).
- Frame problems before trying to solve them
- Break down medium to high complexity problems and identify all of their components
- Provide insight into the root-causes of problems
- Seek advice from those who have solved similar problems
- Anticipate problems and is proactive in addressing them
- Follow up to ensure that the problem has been resolved
- Ask perceptive questions to seek optimal solutions
- Explore various sources for answers, and think "outside the box" to find options
- Be open to others' ideas to help develop solutions
- Generate a range of solutions and courses of action with benefits, costs, and risks associated with each
- Evaluate the chosen course of action to determine its worth and impact
Decision making - Makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish organizational goals.
- Gather data and others' input when making decisions
- Escalate decisions when appropriate
- Weigh pros and cons of each option before making a decision and moving forward
- Balance analysis, insight, experience, and perspective when making decisions
- Explain the rationale for a decision
- Find solutions that are acceptable to diverse groups with conflicting interests and needs
- Make decisions in difficult situations in a timely manner
- Consider lessons learned from experience, differing needs, and the impact of the decision on others
Customer Service - Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with others by listening, understanding and responding to their needs.
- Provide service to internal and external customers to satisfy their needs and expectations
- Listen to concerns and resolve reported issues effectively and promptly
- Ensure and comply to customer response timeline (SLAs) based on the severity of reported issues including documenting concise and accurate status information in the ServiceNow ticketing system
- Deliver high quality products and services
- Commit to continuous improvement
- Anticipate others’ needs and move to effectively address issues
- Establish proactive relationship with others
- Elicit feedback from others
- Deliver high quality solutions that meet the organization’s needs
Company Business Knowledge - Understands the company, its products and the business processes.
- Apply broad (two or more areas) Reliance business knowledge to technology solutions
Accountability - Holds self-accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
- Proactively collaborate between own functional area and areas below or above in the project stream as needed
- Set well-defined and realistic personal goals
- Comply with established policies and procedures
- Accept responsibility for mistakes
- Display a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments
- Minimize re-work
- Seek out learning opportunities
- Identify training needs and take action to obtain knowledge
- Anticipate and adjust for problems and roadblocks
- Be enthusiastic for the things he/she sees as challenging
- Be proactive throughout work assignments /projects
- Persistently push self and others for results
- Help others learn
- Make good decisions on behalf of the company (profitability, compliance)
- Provide consistency between projects
Communication - Communicates effectively across all levels to support departmental and organizational objectives.
- Clearly express information taking into account audience and nature of the information (for example, non-technical, sensitive, and controversial)
- Ask questions and summarize what was heard to prevent miscommunication
- Present information in a concise and focused manner
- Listen to others
- Communicate written information (for example, facts, ideas, or messages) in a succinct and organized manner
- Produce written information, which may include technical material that is appropriate for the intended audience
- Share ideas and perspectives and encourage others to do the same
- Inform others involved in a project of new developments
- Ensure written messages have the desired effect on the target audience
Building Collaborative Relationships - Develops, maintains, and strengthens partnerships with others inside and/or outside the organization.
- Establish rapport with co-workers easily
- Encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride, trust and group identity
- Foster commitment and team spirit
- Work with others to achieve goals
- Listen and respond constructively to other team members' ideas
- Offer support for others' ideas and proposals
- Be open with other team members about his/her concerns
- Share his/her expertise with others
- Express disagreement constructively
- Acknowledge team members for their contributions
- Provide assistance to others when they need it
- Work for solutions that all team members can support
- Effectively persuade and influence team members to achieve goals
- Effectively collaborate with geographically distributed teams
Leadership – Displays effort and commitment in carrying out the department’s goals and objectives.
- Act in a proactive and achievement-oriented manner
- Treat co-workers in a fair and equitable manner
- Empower others by sharing information/Share best practices and processes
- Actively listen and clarify information as needed
- Foster an atmosphere of open communication
- Behave in a tactful, compassionate, and sensitive manner
- Consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of different people in different situations
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Management of Information Science or Web Design required
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently and with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Detail oriented with excellent interpersonal communication skills required
- 5+ years of experience in developing websites/web-based applications using Microsoft .NET required
- Understanding of the latest standards in web development, HTML5 & CSS3 required
- Ability to wireframe/layout a website or web application required
- Experience with converting PSDs into working websites
- Development experience with object-oriented programming, PHP preferred
- Ability to manage a Domain’s DNS settings required
- Experience deploying a website to a website host required
- Experience with Google Maps/Google API’s a strong plus
- Prior experience developing applications using an agile methodology preferred
- Experience with large-scale web/database applications preferred
- Deep understanding of Transact SQL required
- Proficient in use of Visual Studio 2008/2010/2012/2013
- Apply broad ASP.NET, C#, system architecture and design capabilities
- Understanding of SOA and n-tier application architectures
- Experience building services using .NET/WCF
- Experience using Report Generation tools such as SSRS, etc.
- Experience/exposure to Support Desk tracking application like ServiceNow or equivalent preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to apply for the position or to participate in an interview, please let us know.
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. provides reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants who need accommodation in the job application process should contact Gabe Muñoz at (213) 576-2426 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
JOB APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this position, the candidate must submit their resume to email@example.com and specify the position for which they are applying in the subject line or body of the email.