Associate Group Controller
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
Under the general supervision of the Senior Group Controller, this position will oversee the financial reporting and accounting functions of multiple subsidiary companies within a decentralized operating structure, where 30+ operating subsidiaries have their own stand-alone accounting departments. The Associate Group Controller serves both as a control point and as a liaison to facilitate the flow of information to and from the subsidiaries, while also ensuring the accuracy and completeness of financial reporting and the application of proper accounting treatment consistent with company-wide policies. During the first year or two, this position will also assist on various company-wide projects such as the integration of newly acquired companies, international expansions and evaluating controls related to COSO 2013. The subsidiary finance personnel have dotted-line reporting relationships with the Associate Group Controller, who reports to the Senior Group Controller.
- Provide knowledgeable and timely accounting information to senior management by acquiring and maintaining a strong knowledge of assigned companies’ business and financial results (balance sheet, P&L, key performance indicators, products, systems, controls, customers, suppliers, etc.).
- Support senior financial and operational management decision making, by developing proficiency in creating standard reports using Hyperion and ad-hoc reports from the Hyperion platform using Excel.
- Resolve data fluctuations, negative trends or inconsistencies in a timely manner by working with subsidiary and/or corporate management while adhering to the close calendar.
- Identify and evaluate risks by performing periodic reviews of subsidiary procedures for compliance with company policies, along with periodically interfacing and partnering with Internal Audit.
- Identify and communicate best practices to subsidiary personnel in order to implement agreed upon action items from internal audit findings.
- Integrate new subsidiaries into the corporate accounting systems and accounting policy framework, as applicable.
- Visit subsidiary locations periodically to gain an understanding of the business and any unique issues of that subsidiary. In the process, observe local procedures and internal controls and learn the basic elements of their business strategy along with the functions of their computer system and its capabilities.
- Challenge the status quo and help find more efficient and effective ways of performing duties.
- Help the department standardize and document processes and procedures.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with respect to work with non-public financial, operational, and acquisition-related information.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (non-essential duties)
- Coordinate information needs of Legal, Corporate Tax, Human Resources, Operations or other departments from designated subsidiaries, and review such information for completeness and accuracy.
- Assist with external audit procedures and reporting through the production of complex analyses and schedules.
- Train or mentor other newly assigned accountants.
Utilize our online educational library for professional development, with particular focus on technical accounting, controls and fraud.
- The position requires one to be inquisitive with a strong desire to learn the business. A fundamental requirement is this individual’s ability to produce a work product that is complete, accurate, timely and actionable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to work effectively in teams and with a variety of personality types required
- Experience in or exposure to the metals service center industry strongly preferred
- Minimum five years of experience as an accounting/finance professional is required
- Big Four public accounting firm experience in the audit area combined with private sector experience is strongly preferred
- CPA is preferred
- Experience with inventory accounting, consolidations, LIFO, foreign currency accounting, FAS and Hyperion a plus
- Technical capabilities must include proficiency with Microsoft Office products
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to apply for the position or to participate in an interview, please let us know.
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. provides reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants who need accommodation in the job application process should contact Gabe Muñoz at (213) 576-2426 or e-mail email@example.com to request an accommodation.
JOB APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this position, the candidate must submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify the position for which they are applying in the subject line or body of the email.