Administrative Lab Assistant I-II (GOR1703.17)
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR)
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking an Administrative Lab Assistant position to support research laboratory planning, operations, and maintenance. The Administrative Lab Assistant performs general lab safety and laboratory maintenance tasks under general guidance of Principal Investigator, Dr. Jorg Goronzy, collaborating with VA Palo Alto Health Care System where necessary.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, dependable, and friendly Administrative Lab Assistant – someone who works well with others, communicates well, requires minimal supervision, and enjoys working in a research environment, supporting the mission to combat human disease and improve health of veterans. If the Administrative Lab Assistant expresses interest, there could be opportunities to participate in research experiments.
This is a regular, part-time (20 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Work schedule can be flexible, and will be discussed during the interview.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- General lab maintenance: perform tasks such as, but not limited to answering main phone line, setting up FedEx shipments, assisting with orienting new research staff, autoclaving glassware, ensuring cleanness of the lab, running errands when needed
- Lab safety maintenance: attend lab coordinator forum, perform quarterly safety lab inspections, mark hazardous waste for disposal, keep track of chemical inventory, etc.
- Inventory and order lab supplies as needed. Accept deliveries and stock supplies.
- Update and maintain various databases for reagents, biological samples, etc.
- Lab equipment maintenance: maintain toner supplies, add toner, facilitate repairs, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required: High School diploma.
Desired: BA/BS degree (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
Required: experience working in a team setting, providing customer service, administrative, and operational support
Desired: experience working in a professional research environment with laboratory equipment
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent initiative and organizational abilities
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team, to set priorities, meet deadlines, and solve problems in a professional manner
- Familiarity with standard laboratory concepts, practices, and procedures is preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
- Strong customer-service focus, with an ability to interact effectively with a diversity of people
- Working knowledge of basic accounting / math
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to follow directions and procedures and complete directed tasks accurately
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously with minimal direction and to exercise flexibility among tasks
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Physical ability to safely lift up to 50 pounds. Sitting in front of a computer, standing, bending, reaching, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to imaging equipment, office environment, wet lab environment, bloodborne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for minorities, women, protected Veterans, and qualified individuals with a disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
How to Apply:
Please apply online for job code ‘GOR1703.17’ via our Jobs page and include your cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae as ONE document.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Laboratory Specialist Jobs
- View more Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) Jobs